This week, the assignment was to consider how we would
assess the sustainability of our school.
If I were going to assess how green our campus, I would consider the
following factors.
| Exactly how efficient is our bus system? Photo found at thebergernetwork.com |
1) Whether the school uses any energy efficient appliances
2) How many recycling receptacles the campus has and how
much the students actually use them
3) How efficient the available public transportation to and
from the school is
4) How much or little trash the school produces
5) Where the cafeteria and vending machine food comes from
and how it gets to the school
6) The ratio of students to physical size of college to
amount of actual use of the area
7) Whether the college uses any forms of renewable energy
8) Whether the school prints everything on paper or makes
effort to issue information electronically
-How
well is the school website designed and how much is it used?
-What
efforts do individual teachers make to cut down on paper consumption?
9) How much green house gas emissions our school produces
Other schools have already been assessed for their
sustainability. One such school is
Berkshire School in Sheffield, Massachusetts. Their sustainability is measured by the Sustainability,
Tracking, Assessment, and Rating Systems (STARS) that was developed by the
Association for Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education. Berkshire School is rated annually, and
as of January of 2012, Berkshire School attained silver status. This might sound good, but silver is
fourth highest out of five ranks that STARS provides. However, it does mean that Berkshire School has done quite a
lot to go green.
![]() |
| The conceptual model for sustainability used at Berkshire School. Photo found at berkshireschool.org |
In their effort to become green, Berkshire School considers
three things environmental integrity, economic justice, and social equity. The school has a Director of
Sustainability and a sustainability committee that are tasked with establishing
guidelines through which the school can become more sustainable. The committee pursues this within five
general categories.
1)
Education/Administration in which the goal is to promote
education, research, and awareness of social, economic, and environmental
sustainability for both the staff and students.
2)
Energy in which their eventual goal is to create a net zero
Green House Gas emissions for both the campus and student living areas.
3)
Food in which they want to create a local and organic food
system that produces as little waste as possible
4)
Land use in which the goal is to protect and preserve the
natural environment and nature of the campus.
5)
Procurement/Disposal in which they want to produce the most
efficient way of procuring and disposing of campus necessities and supplies.
If I were going to devise a plan for assessing an area of
our school, I would try to assess the sustainability of our food supply. Due to the fact that the vast majority
of the food available for purchase is prepackaged and frozen, I think the
sustainability level is very low.
Of course the first step in would be to gain permission to
assess the sustainability of our food resources. I would prepare a presentation as to why the assessment
would be a good idea and help benefit student life on campus and then contact
the President of Riverside Community College, Dr. Cynthia Azari for
permission. The presentation would
mention things such as there are some government incentives for sustainability
and many organizations will donate to aid the process of sustainability.
Once I had permission, I would search for volunteers to help
carry out the assessment. That
way, the project would be much less costly, another incentive for the powers
that be to approve the assessment.
There is a sustainability club at the college who would probably be
willing to help. I would also
contact the president of Alpha Gamma Sigma to see if any of the members would
be interested in obtaining volunteer service hours by aiding in this project.
| Although not a pretty sight, this is generally what eventually happens to our leftover food. Photo found at novaksanitary.com |
Next, I would conduct some preliminary research. I would arrange an interview with
Cheryl Ruzak, the Director of Food Services, to find out things like how much
food is ordered per week, where it comes from, how much it costs, how much of
each thing is ordered, how much of each thing is sold, and how much waste the
cafeteria produces on a weekly basis by themselves for things such as
preparation of food. If she could
not answer some of those questions, I would enlist the volunteers to help in a
field experiment to obtain said answers.
Once I know how much food is ordered, I would measure it
against how much is purchased. I
would also measure how much trash is produced by the cafeteria against how much
is produced by the students. Once
I know where the food comes from, I would research the path it took as far back
as I could (to the very original supplier if I could) and generate an estimate
of the environmental effects. And
if by some miracle I had enough
volunteers willing to dig through and separate trash, I would also want to do
an evaluation of how much of food purchased from the cafeteria is actually
consumed. Because I have seen
people buy a chicken finger meal and then throw half of it away.

Haha! That website is super informational-- you're totally right Sam! I'm glad you utilized it's information to analyze our campus :) Also, the organization of your blog was awesome. I can also relate to realizing how much food is NOT consumed! It would be interesting to see how much good food is wasted. Eek!
ReplyDelete